Man UTD vs Liverpool: Is the romance over?

I always pass by about 4 mamak shops on my way to my favorite haunt when a big BPL match is on. And nothing gets bigger than the Man UTD and Liverpool clash. All the mamak shops on the way to Cobra Club will be crowded and the waiters sweat it out to serve the continuous demands by hundreds of  passionate fans from both sides.

The banter and sarcasm would have started about a week before the match itself. ESPN and Astro Supersport will do their bid in getting fans' fangs and claws sharpened to tear each other out by having pundits fighting over their predictions. Their promotional TV commercial gets pretty sizzling hot too. I still remember Stevie G was "dressed" in a gladiators outfit in last season clash of the titans.

Anyway, coming back to the mamak shop, as I passed by them, I was taken aback by the relative quietness of it all and it was only 15 minutes away before the kick off and here I am rushing to the club to be with other fans to have a jolly good evening of football.

So this thought came to my mind "Is the whole romance of the intense rivalry between two greatest footballing clubs in the world DEAD?"

So as I was accelerating down Old Klang Road, I was logically working out if it was indeed over?

Let me see:

1. Liverpool is nowhere near the quality of Man UTD in the recent years. It has only won 1 in the last 7 times against its arch rival.

2. It can't attract the quality of players that is required to match the top four. The new top four is Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal (or Spurs). Liverpool is a a mid table team and will not be in the Champions League for another season (I bet).

3. Man UTD is probably more interested in ensuring that Man City does not catch up with them. It doesn't want another surprise from the City Sleekers like last season.

4. With the popularity of LA Liga and Bundesliga, neutral fans have more choice of football and clubs to follow. Actually the Bundesliga matches are of great quality. Although there is only 2 teams in LA Liga, The El Classico seems to be getting more and more popular.

5. A sense of frustration and diminishing Hope is the general sentiment that I get from my fellow Liverpool supporters

So.... before I could conclude whether the romance is over or not, I reached my intended destination.

I opened the door and walked into a sea of red. They were all in good spirit helped a "spirit" of another type. I joined in and sang with them. I also moaned and groaned collectively with others as the game ended with 2-1 win to Man UTD.



I had , Vijaya Kumar, a Liverpool since 1986 who recognized The OrangeMan from the show come over to me and insisted that Howard Webb had a good game and that Evra's goal off Vidic was offside.

Coming back to the initial question of " is the romance over between these two teams?"... I think so. For me anyway.

I dont feel the intense pressure like I use to.  I didn't have a nervous breakdown before the game. I didn't cry like a baby or feel my heart being ripped off my chest when Liverpool lost.

I quote a Liverpool fan, Hanil Hanif, who I was chatting with as I wrote this blog " I cant feel it anymore"




1 comment:

  1. yupp.. can't feel it anymore.. it's true.. it's a good thing if we win but if we lost, we didn't take it to strong.. life goes on..

    ReplyDelete