Just Do it!





This is my second week of training for the 21km in upcoming BII Bali Marathon on June 16th. It has been an interesting journey. I have taken the approach of .... "I don't want to die doing this. Must survive and must finish no matter what. I don't care about my timing."

Considering that I am 49 years old and have never done such a long distance I need to be practical. Also it has been a long time since I did any consistent physical activity. And the last run I did was the Jakarta 10km.

Therefore my training has not been like the Green Beret or GI Joe type. It has been quite enjoyable actually. With the mentality of just wanting to finish the run for personal satisfaction has been easier for me to get off my arse to exercise and train.

Below are the observations I made during my one week of training:

1. Running parks. I am glad that there are till some parks around as more and more development take over precious land for people to exercise and families to do healthy things together. The other area of concern is a sense of not feeling safe when you are running alone during dusk in the parks.

2. I actually prefer swimming to running. Made me feel fitter compared to running. I dont feel the tiredness compared to when I run.

3. I am surprised with the support that I have been getting from fellow runners and by those who don't run (LOL). Special "Thank you" to Leen Alkhatib. facebook has a purpose.

4. I even started do some weeding around my house because I have more energy.

5. Definitely feel fresh and fantastic after the training and a few hours after that.

6. When I did my sit ups today, I saw clouds from a different perspective. They are quite beautiful in their own ad hoc way. I noticed the moon up in the skies at 8am.





7. I surprised myself when I finished my running and went into a small time circuit training. Something I remembered when I was running for my school Victoria Institution. I also played football and hockey. It is muscle memory or DNA?

8. The best part is when seasoned runners can spot you as a beginner from a mile. They smile at you and I get the sense that they embracing me in the running fraternity.

9. I like mapmyrun. It is a cool application. I like the male voice that tells your distance covered, time taken etc. Good change from that female voice in car GPS systems that demands you take the left turn even if you dont wont to (LOL).

10. Brooks came forward and are sponsoring me the whole running gear. Running vest, round neck collar tee shirts, running tights, socks and even running shoes. Hooha! Brooks.

11. I wish that I can mix my training with some gym work.

12. My eating habits have changed alot in a such a short period. I automatically go for organic food as my first selection. Less oily food. I reduced my coffee intake. I even began to make my own green apple juice.

13. I have lost weight. And it is quite immediate too. Lost 2.5kg in under one week of training. Guess what, I still went and had happy hours with mates. (really long happy hour).


Important note: I have a better understanding why runners want to know how many drink stations there are on route. While I was running, I noticed that I was mentally timing when I should have my next sip of water to fuel my body energy and to quench my thirst... so that I can survive my first ever half marathon.



Should I wear my Orange sunglasses at the marathon?



1 comment:

  1. 'No 8. The best part is when seasoned runners can spot you as a beginner from a mile. They smile at you and I get the sense that they embracing me in the running fraternity ...'

    ... or secretly sniggering to themselves thinking, 'that poor soul doesn't know what he's getting into' ... hahaha!

    All the best bro.

    ReplyDelete